“100 Times Better Off!”
“Making History Together!”
The Race is On!
Nanaimo By-Election on January 30, 2019
Dr. Robin Richardson’s Top 10 VIP MLA Promises
Vote strategically! Don’t waste your vote on the same old parties!
With Dr. Robin Richardson as your VIP MLA for Nanaimo, he would hold the balance of power in the BC Legislature for the next 3 years.
Think of things that Robin could get for Nanaimo!
There would be instant gains for Nanaimo if you vote for Dr. Robin Richardson as your next MLA.
Robin will demand that the February NDP budget include:
(1) A pilot project for a Guaranteed Annual Income (GAI) for the City of Nanaimo. This will end poverty for low income seniors, children and others.
(2) A pilot project for free tuition for students at the Vancouver Island University (VIU) with 4 years VanIsle residency and from families with no more than $90,000 family income
(3) An end to the NDP speculation tax on all properties in the Regional District of Nanaimo.
(4) Provincial funding for a passenger- only ferry service from downtown Nanaimo to downtown Vancouver.
(5) A full comprehensive cancer treatment centre in Nanaimo so that people do not have to drive to Victoria for radiation treatment.
(6) A comprehensive cardiac care service in Nanaimo, again to avoid forcing patients to travel to Victoria.
(7) Easing housing costs and building more affordable units for renters and families.
(8) Provincial funding for tourism development on Newcastle Island for the Snuneymuxw First Nation and its Petroglyph Development Corp.
(9) Full funding of legal aid and the removal of the $5,500 cap on soft tissue injuries from ICBC.
(10) Funding for the E& N Railway to get it up and running again as soon as possible, providing safe, fast and clean commuter and cargo service from Nanaimo to Victoria, and viceversa.
Dirk Heydemann interviews with by-election candidate Robin Richardson of the Vancouver Island Party
Dr. Richardson’s campaign goals for the citizens of Nanaimo are:
1. A world class diversified job strategy for more high paying jobs in Nanaimo in high tech, green and clean manufacturing, value added resource industries, clean coal, construction, cannabis, tourism and service businesses, including government.
2. The support of employee ownership plans which are proven to improve employee income, productivity and morale.
3. The prohibition of “Right to-Work (RTW) legislation in order to protect both unionized and non-unionized workers against downward wage and benefit pressure from powerful employers.
4. The removal of the NDP speculation tax on all properties in the Regional District of Nanaimo.
5. The removal of the $5,500 cap on soft tissue injuries from ICBC.
6. Full funding of Legal Aid by giving 100% of the monies raised by the tax on legal services to fund legal aid.
7. Dental care to be included in provincial health services.
8. A passenger-only ferry service from Nanaimo to downtown Vancouver.
9. The elimination of BC Ferries’ fares for individuals – walk-on, drivers and passengers; reduced fares for cars and trailers; and substantially reduced fares for trucks with 2,000 or more tonnes of cargo.
10. For Vancouver Island University (VIU), free tuition for its students with at least 4 years residency in middle and high school in the Regional District of Nanaimo and from families with $90,000 or less family income. The Government of New Brunswick established such a policy in 2016, with a family cut-off of $60,000.
Adult students of any age may also qualify for this student aid benefit with 4 years of VanIsle residency, provided they are from families with $90,000 or less family income.
All student loans will be interest-free provided they are paid off within 10 years.
There would be preferential hiring programs for VIU graduates to stay in Nanaimo to pursue their professions and trades.
11. A guaranteed annual income (GAI) for the City of Nanaimo residents with at least 12 months residency geared to the living wage in Nanaimo, and indexed annually to the cost of living. This GAI would be a key income support to reduce poverty in Nanaimo.
If the NDP Government chooses to implement a 3-city 3- year pilot project, as recommended by The Vancouver Island Party (VIP), in its 2019 provincial budget, Nanaimo should be one of the cities or towns included in this project.
A GAI is proven not to discourage work. With an income safety net, recipients often get better jobs and many start new businesses.
A GAI provides higher income support than social assistance and would provide an incentive to developers to build affordable rental housing in Nanaimo.
A GAI will replace the current social assistance and other income support programs. Its net cost to taxpayers is substantially reduced.
12. As an additional strategy to reduce child poverty, encourage school breakfasts programs in all schools in the Nanaimo – Ladysmith School District and engage private organizations, such as churches, to administer these programs. BC has the highest child poverty rate in Canada (1 out of 5 children). The child poverty rate in Victoria is even higher than the provincial average (1 out of 4 children). Nanaimo may be even worse.
13. Tent cities and panhandling will not be allowed anywhere near commercial business districts.
14. For the Snuneymuxw First Nation and its Petroglyph Development Group, provincial funding for its tourism development project for Newcastle Island. Also, working with the new Nanaimo-Ladysmith MP, work for the release of National Defence lands for much needed First Nation housing.
15. For the Regional District of Nanaimo, provincial support for water conservation, sewerage projects and dykes and seawalls.
16. Earthquake protection for all public buildings.
We will be conducting campaign kickoff meetings on Tuesdays January 8, 15, 22 and 29. Please mark them in your calendars.
The meetings will be from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the ABC Country Restaurant, 6671 Mary Ellen Drive, Nanaimo, just north of the Woodgrove Shopping Centre.
(View Google Map)
We are seeking volunteers, doorknockers and canvassers to help with Robin’s campaign. If you would like to volunteer or get more information, click the button below.
We would also like you to consider making a donation of up to $1,200 to Robin’s campaign.
There are generous tax credits. (Tax Credit Optimization Table)
This can be done by Visa or Mastercard in the “Donations” section of the VIP website, www.VanIsleparty.com/donate.